Tobaraoi’s celebrations for Kiribati 40th Anniversary of Independence
- Open to all I-Kiribati weavers from all the islands.
- Multiple entries permitted.
- All weaving must be made of well prepared teira – soft and strong
- Weaving needs to be beautifully done: even and tight with straight edges.
- Size, single adult sleeping mat
- Competition closes on Saturday 15th June 2019, and winners announced on Monday 1st July 2019
- All entries must meet the above criteria.
- All accepted entries will be purchased at the rate of between $50 and $70 by Tobaraoi on submission
- Results of competition are final
Extra points will be given for patterns and colours (light regular dark).
Additional points will be given for complexity of pattern and creativity.
WHY IS TOBARAOI HAVING A MAT WEAVING COMPETITION?
There are many reasons but to note a few
- To encourage traditional skills so that they are not lost.
- It is a skill that it seems the younger generation is not taking up naturally.
- Beautiful mats are exquisite. Makers should be proud of their creations, and we should be proud of the makers.
- They are an item whose components are readily and easily available, for turning into income in any corner of Kiribati